Women have the ability to reproduce and this ability comes with challenges.
And one of those challenges is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
Most women with PCOS have no idea they have it. Most times it’s the irregular, prolonged period, abnormally heavy and painful periods or the delay in getting pregnant that makes them realize they have PCOS.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome occurs when a woman’s menstrual cycle is disrupted; this disruption leads to hormonal imbalance. This hormonal imbalance manifests in the development of a lot of small cysts on the ovaries.
Some of the symptoms of PCOS include:
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Irregular menstrual cycle: Most women with PCOS have fewer periods or they may miss their period. This can cause infertility. The period may come every 18 -21 days and next time in 40 days.
- Some women experience hair loss. The balding of the hair is similar to hair loss in men.
- Excessive hair growth on the face and chin. There’s also hair growth where women usually don’t grow hair like on the chest.
- Development of acne on the face, chest, and upper back
- Constant fatigue
- Weight gain in the tummy area
- Darkening of skin, particularly along neck creases, in the groin, and underneath breasts
- Excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
- Infertility: PCOS is one of the causes of irregular or missed period in women. Ovulation has to occur for menstruation to take place.
- Low libido
These pictures are some of the physical symptoms, but PCOS comes with mental symptoms too:
- Mood swings
For most women the main cause of irregular menstrual cycle is stress – prolonged stress over a period of time. The kind of stress that you deal with every day, and dread, because, there’s no consistent pattern to it.
It just comes up, consistently.
At the point your body caves in under the pressure, some of the symptoms of PCOS may already be present.
Missed period? Prolonged and heavy menstruation? What of other symptoms? You may ignore it and of course write it off as stress. It is stress alright, but your body is signaling to you that it’s reaching its critical level of coping.
That is one of the things the B5Y ACADEMY is teaching women. How to be busy but in that “busyness” to still create a work life balance so that the delicate system that is your body do not tilt out of balance and collapse.
Can you get pregnant with PCOS?
Although having PCOS can cause infertility in women, it’s also the most treatable cause of infertility. Make sure to consult your physician if you think you may have PCOS
Are there things you can do to help yourself
- Yes, Weight loss. Even, losing just 5 -10% of your body weight will help a lot in reducing your symptom, help get your hormones in balance, regulate your menstrual cycle and additionally help you in getting pregnant. According to Mayo clinic “Obesity is associated with PCOS and can worsen complications of the disorder”
- Nutrition and other lifestyle changes such as exercise and sleeping better can also help control your symptoms.
- Smoking increases male hormone levels and quitting smoking can help
- Vegetables, fiber, beans, fruits, nuts and seed should be high on your to eat list.
- For the facial hair, your Doctor may prescribe a cream or you can get over the counter facial hair and acne cream at your local pharmacy.
WANT TO START MAKING LIFESTYLE CHANGES THAT ALIGNS WITH YOUR VALUES? WANT TO MAKE CHANGES THAT FITS INTO YOUR BUSY LIFE NOT DISRUPT IT FURTHER?
Discover how to eat and exercise better no matter how busy you are
If you’re a busy woman, who is starved of time but need help in any of these 4 areas – fat loss, nutrition guidance that works, Post partum recovery, getting fitter and stronger, creating work/life balance, then check out my B5Y Academy
The B5Y Academy only opens 3 times in a year and is specifically created for busy female professionals and female executives. It’s an exclusive 16 weeks – 4 months coaching for busy women who want to regain control of their body and life.
Registration for the B5Y Academy is open now and will end on April 16th. Get 17% discount when you register before 16th of April.
The B5Y Academy will give you the knowledge, simple and easy skills and actionable tools you need to achieve fat loss and good health. You’ll start implementing nutrition, exercise and lifestyle strategy that is highly effective but simple and easy enough to fit into your busy life without taking it over. You’ll lose weight and reshape not just your body but you life